Re: [ot] web cams.

Hi There!

NTSC is analogue, so it can't be described quite correctly as a number of
pixels, but it is close enough to say that you get 640x480 interlaced at
30fps, which amounts to 320x480 non-interlaced 30fps, or 640x480
non-interlaced at 15fps. Additionally, the colour is only sent at about
half the resolution of the intensity if I am not wrong, so basically its
hard to categorize NTSC as x by y at z fps.

To answer your actual question though, I would say most USB webcams will
give you lower quality than you are used to from 'TV', not because of
resolution, but because of colour, because the actual sensor is crappy.
Most webcams I have tried also give blurry motion. A bttv type board
should do the trick fine, as would a Matrox Meteor II. You should be able
to hook a standard handycam to those for NTSC quality grabbing.

Another option to look into might be Digital Video over FireWire. See
linux1394.sourceforge.net - This should give you quality superior to NTSC,
but it is not clear a FireWire host adapter and Cam would cost any more
than an Analogue framegrabber + a handycam...

Richie