Re: RemoteVision progress

Greetings,

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 21:45, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let me share my experiments so far and ask some questions....
>
> The RemoteVision card is composed of BT848, GMS80C301 (a kind of the
> well know 8051 microcontroler, any idea why this is need?), W27E257
> (eprom for 80C301), LM1881 (video sync separator, why?), CD22M6494E
> (crosspoint switch from harris, i got datasheet for it's brother
> CD22M3494E).
>
> The video inputs are conected to the crosspoint switch, pins X0, X1, X2
> etc. The Y0 from switch has a decoupling capacitor to MUX1. MUXOUT has
> another cap to Yin.
>
> GPIO pins are conected as following:
> 0: AX0
> 1: AX1
> 2: AX2
> 3: AX3
> 4: AY0
> 5: AY1
> 6: AY2
> 7: DATA
> 8: to microcontroler

To what pin does this go? Just one of the input pins of the
microcontroller? In that case it's a hard guess what it does...
Also, remember that the bits of the GPIO port can be independantly used for
reading and writing, so maybe this pin is used as an input, not an output
like the others.

> 9: RESET

Reset to what?

> 10: STROBE
>
> To proper supporting this scheme under bttv i will need some hooks like
> "pre_muxsel" and "post_muxsel". This is needed because we are not
> programing a MUX, but a xpoint switcher. There may be several multiple
> conections across the switch, so before programing a new conection we
> have to clean the last one. After writing the address to GPIO we must
> pulse the STROBE pin to create a new conection.
>
> Now the card is almost working. I got images and input channel selection
> works fine.

Congratulations, you did that fairly quick :-)

> Problems:
>
> - i can only grab 352x288 pictures (windows driver can do 640x480). I'm
> not aware of how the resolution is changed, i'm just using the 'motion'
> program that should be taking care of this. If i change to 640x480 the
> image is completely broken, as if there were two different images
> interlaced.

This is odd; normally you set the size with a VIDIOCSWIN call or
VIDIOCMCAPTURE with mmap(). What kind of video source do you use? TV,
video, the cameras that ship with the card? In the latter case, they might
be cheapo CCD chips that only send even or odd frames.

> - the frame is out of sync, i can see the vertical sync bar. i don't
> know how bt848 is supposed to sync with video, maybe this have something
> to do with that microcontroller? pll settings also don't seem to make
> any difference...

The _vertical_ sync bar? If it looks vertical on your screen, you're
missing the _horizontal_ sync pulses!

Either way, it's odd; the BT848 normally syncs itself on the syncs quite
well.

It's possible the microcontroller generates the VSync for you, and the
video source that you apply is supposed to sync with this, in stead of
generating it's own sync. In which case you might be screwed :-(
Maybe you can turn it off with the pin to the microcontroller, since the
card _does_ have a sync separator.

Anyway, if the card doesn't sync to your signal, the bar should scroll very
slowly over your image, due to frequency differences.

 - Nemosoft