Nevermind last post, tell me some information about xawtv...

After checking out the docs I see why.  What i also noticed about xawtv is
that it can compress at the same time as displaying the movie.  The
question then becomes exactly how does xawtv know that a new picture has
been laid down into the frame buffer, is there a message sent to the
application, or do they just set a timer to go off every 30 milliseconds
(ntsc) or something?  I think I would like to try what they are doing, but
I also would like openGL to write on top of the buffer (to do some sweet
overlays or some graphics effects).  The ideal system would be to set up
the capture device to write directly to an offscreen buffer, then have
openGL use that buffer for its sampling and blending.  Sound possible?
Then the only semi-expensive call to swap the buffers.  Perhaps you would
also have to reset the driver pointer to write to a different section
ofthe frame buffer or something, but anything is possible, eh?  Anyway,
just some thoughts, chris