RE: RE: recording television

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Largo Hellenz wrote:

> 1) i have digital cable and so need to use the LIRC project..
> 	i found this transciever: (homemade diagram)
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/3680/2001/1/0/5037984
> 	is this a good way to go?  which transciever do you use?

I've got an irdeo (www.irdeo.de), but I modified the way it connects to
the serial port to make in function the same as the lirc homebrew design.

I also did fine for transmitting with a diode/resistor/irled setup.  Not
much range, but I stuck the irled right in front of the boxes to be
controlled.

> 2) since this would be RCA video out (not cable) to the linux box,
>      is there a difference in the best card to buy?

I don't know - almost all cards have video in.  If you've got a sound card
then you can feed stereo audio straight to that so I don't think it needs
to be anything fancy.

> 2)  the i really like the ssh tunnel idea for the mpegrec:
>     "ssh mymachine mpegrec -b 64 -r 32000 -x '-S' | mpg123 -"
>     can this be done with the entire video (as well as audio)?
>     could you do something like... "ssh mymachine btty | btty -"?
>     how much bandwitch would decent res at 640x480 require, do you think?
>     would it make more sense to stream television over net with RealServer?
>     (or a similar product?)

I guess you could do that trick with a full mpeg stream.  But the
bandwidth would be "challenging" - you'd have to capture 176x144 sort of
resolution to get mpeg bandwidth down to ADSL/Cable type speeds.

640x480 resolution at "decent" mpeg quality will require 3megabits of
bandwidth I would say.  I guess it depends on your definition of decent.

ssh probably isn't really the right transport either - should really use
an rtp connection - but special software would be needed.

Real stuff might be a better bet (there's been discussion around - v4l or
ffmpeg lists I think).

Steve