RE: RE: recording television

Great stuff... just some minor questions:

1) i have digital cable and so need to use the LIRC project..
	i found this transciever: (homemade diagram)
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/3680/2001/1/0/5037984
	is this a good way to go?  which transciever do you use?

2) since this would be RCA video out (not cable) to the linux box,
     is there a difference in the best card to buy?

2)  the i really like the ssh tunnel idea for the mpegrec:
    "ssh mymachine mpegrec -b 64 -r 32000 -x '-S' | mpg123 -"
    can this be done with the entire video (as well as audio)?
    could you do something like... "ssh mymachine btty | btty -"?
    how much bandwitch would decent res at 640x480 require, do you think?
    would it make more sense to stream television over net with RealServer?
    (or a similar product?)

THANX!
-fernando pando

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Largo Hellenz wrote:

> thanks, this is very helpful.
>
> so the video signal has to be preset...meaning, i have to set
> the channel on cable box and then video out to card?
> i was hoping i could change the channel to be recorded remotely with
> the cable coming straight into the tv card. is this possible?

I guess that this depends on your cable box.  In my case its digital TV -
encrypted and all that - so the box is required.  If you've got old
fashioned analogue cable I guess your mileage may vary.

I use LIRC to transmit infra-red commands to change channels on my cable
box.

> also, this is a bit far fetched, but has anyone created a ncurses
> or text based television that would output closed caption shows?
> (i could "read" my soaps at work?)

Hmm.  well - with bttv comes "ttv" - which renders video using text
mode.  Rather surreal effect.

You can also grab audio and resend it over the 'net.  Here's what I do:

  ssh mymachine mpegrec -b 64 -r 32000 -x '-S' | mpg123 -

For subtitles, alevtd, also part of the bttv - a "publish teletext on the
web" might help.

Steve