Re: [RFC] alternative kernel multimedia API

> > I would like to see a detailed explanation of how the capabilities
> > differ from those of v4l2.
>
>  The major difference is in increased flexibility and stability of
>  kernel-user space interface.
>
>  On the application side:
>         * ability to utilize advanced driver features without explicit
>           knowledge of their behaviour
>         * wider compatibility without the need for recompile

what exactly is bad with the v4l2 controls?

>  On the kernel side:
>         * elimination of interfaced specific headers

Ok, you replace the '#define V4L2_CID_HUE 0x???' with the magic string
"HUE" then.  The point is?

>  On the driver side:
>         * be compatible with a wide range of applications

???
Sorry, but I don't see why your approach handles this better than v4l2.

>         * introduce support for new features without the need to modify
>           kernel interfaces

Hmm.  I don't like the idea to add new stuff that easily.  People tend
to do quick&dirty hacks + crazy stuff with it, leading to more
incompatibilies between drivers and applications.

>  The last point is the very important in my opinion. For example, in
>  current specification, v4l2 has no support for TV-out in graphics cards.
>  It has no support for setting complex parameters like gamma tables.
>  Using memory-mapped buffers requires device specific ioctls.

Which device specific ioctls?  They are common for _all_ v4l2 devices.

>  The goal is to create an interface that does not rely on structures
>  defined in kernel headers for communication.

Why do you want to do that?

  Gerd

--
Netscape is unable to locate the server localhost:8000.
Please check the server name and try again.