Re: [RFC] alternative kernel multimedia API

volodya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 After looking at and working with Xv, v4l and v4l2 I became somewhat
dissatisfied with the current state of affairs. I have attached a
description of the API that would make (at least) me much happier.
 I would very much appreciate comments from interested people..

                           thanks !

                               Vladimir Dergachev

              Kernel multimedia architecture

        **     the latest version can be obtained from     **

	http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gatos/km/km.rfc.txt

0) Motivation
v4l, v4l2 and Xv are all suffering from the same problem: attempt to fit existing multimedia devices into a fixed scheme. The use of pre-defined
    structs to describe parameters of device is inherently wrong because
    these parameters vary widely. This leads to either bloating of the control
    structures with parameters used only by few devices, proliferation of
    device-specific ioctl and/or struct versioning. This also makes it increasingly
    hard to implement support for new parameters.

    The solution, IMO, is to move away from hard-coded models of multimedia
    devices and instead allow greater flexibility to driver developers by
providing _symbolic_ interface.

I don't know - I don't see anything in the interface design that can do anything more than v4l2. In fact, for high speed capturing I can see a number of possible catches.

I would like to see a detailed explanation of how the capabilities differ from those of v4l2.

(I also doubt that an interface this complex would ever make it into the kernel.)

-justin