Re: v4l and v4l-2

Hello Billy,

>   I'm worried about v4l2 because if it was clearly 'the right thing' it
> would already be in the kernel.

If it was for me, it would be in the kernel already for a long time.

But I don't have the connections and credibility (and certainly not
the deeper kernel knowledge) to push v4l2 into the kernel.

> So, there must be some reason every
> time I say 'v4l2' in certain circles that people go 'uuugh'.

Certainly only bttv & v4l users -- for them, all v4l programs
just "work", because it's *the* driver.

But for my old v4l driver, getting programs to work was a pain
in the ass. Nearly every program uses some bttv-only hack or
sideeffect (undocumented ioctl, dependencies between ioctls, ...)
Documentation is scarce, too.

>   But if this situation has changed, please let me know.  Doesn't seem
> like it: the bttv driver only now has initial support for v4l2, and it
> doesn't support the VBI API.  So, I'm just confused.

So you have the following situation: use the old vbi v4l api with
the restrictions already named (no-time stamping, not usable with
other cards) or bug Gerd to implement the new v4l2 vbi api and use
that...  ;-)

(...or do it by yourself)

>   If everyone thinks that v4l is dead and v4l2 forever, great, I'll
> switch.  Please let me know now.  But I'm not going to support both.

It's your decision. Nobody will tell you: v4l is superiour, use that,
it's more flexible, has less bugs, works on different hardware, ...

Many people have still problems getting their bttv-card to work, and
most bttv users are happy because their system is alright for them.

But for serious and hardware-independent capturing software that's
not enough. I admit: v4l2 is work-in-progress for bttv.

>   3) both are broken, let's start over.  I've definitely heard that
>      before too.

Nobody can stop you from that: but you will have to provide at least
a working bt8x8 driver for that (supporting all cards that the current
bttv supports...)

But I'm repeating myself. Have a look at Justin Schoeman's comment
on this thread, too.

CU
Michael.