RE: Newbie question - webcam as video security system and 4 port BT878

You might check out www.pictioneers.com, they seem to have a solution.

-----Original Message-----
From: video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:video4linux-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rick Romero
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 7:19 AM
To: video4linux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Newbie question - webcam as video security system and
4 port BT878

On 17 Oct 2001 at 18:13, Almond Wong wrote:

> Hello, list.
>
> I want to setup a security system using webcam.  I need the following
features:

> 1. Can record the captured images to hard disk.
> 2. Can access from browser of real time images.
 V4L only supports a single open of any device.   Motion
http://motion.technolust.cx, supports Motion Detection and a
loopback driver, so you can redirect that image to another
'/dev/video', and open the loopback device with something like
camstream.

> I have setup the webcam software come with xawtv which suit the above
> requirement. Anybody have other suggestion ? Please advice.
>
> Besides, I brought a card with BT878 on board and 4 composite input. Is
> BT878 can support 4 camera at the same time, what is the frame rate per
> second ? Any limitation ?
I have a GoVideo 878 card (CAP 4 CH)(from allthings.com.au).
I'm told, and have experienced, the 878 only supports sending a
single channel at a time.  I currently have a 'piss-poor' driver based
on Jeroen Vreeken's 'invert' example from the vloopback archive,
that will loop through each channel and output it to it's own
/dev/video.  http://www.havokmon.com/stuff/multiout.c
It works fairly well (I get 3 fps saved when motion is detected),
except for a 'jump' that unfortunately is seen as motion..  I can let
you know if I get that fixed..

If anyone else has a better solution, speak up!  :)

Rick

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Best Regards,
>
> Almond Wong