Re: Re: some questions

Thanks for taking the time :)

On 17 Oct 2001, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> volodya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >   Hi all :)
> >
> >   I am from GATOS project (http://www.linuxvideo.org/gatos ). We now have a
> >  small v4l capture module that works with Radeon All-in-Wonders.
> >
> >   It's a first cut so, naturally, I have some questions:
> >
> >    * in the card the alternating TV fields (odd and even) are captured
> >      in two separate buffers. Right now the module presents them as
> >      consequetive frames (so that NTSC stream 640x480@30hz interlaced
> >      becomes 640x240@60hz), which is wrong. How do I tell through v4l
> >      interface that every other frame is odd one ?
>
> v4l2 has buffer flags for even/odd field, v4l has not.  Is there any way

Does it make sense to do v4l2 ? When is it going to make it into the
kernel ? (I don't want to require people to patch the kernel in addition
to everything else..)

> to capture both fields interleaved into one buffer?  Using pitch =
> 2*scanlinelength or something like that?  Applications expect the image
> interleaved in one buffer ...

Not really. (As DMA granularity is 4096 bytes, but pitch is 640*2). I
could make it fake this during read but this requires doubling buffers.
(4 instead of 2, 1.2meg ram instead of 600k)

> >    * what are the features most desired in a v4l driver ?
>
> capture / overlay?  For the Radeon probably capture is more important,
> as overlay is available throught Xvideo, right?

Yes. This is just an "auxiliary" module, it requies X with xawtv running
to be able to capture anything.

> >    * if someone can give some links to capture tools/encoders etc
> >      for compatibility testing this would be much appreciated
>
> Any v4l app should work (in theory ...).
> There is no test suite (at least I don't know any ...).

Well, I just wanted to take the easy way and get this to work with some
existing apps instead of implementing ioctl's one by one ;)

> >    * do we need to get a define in videodev.h ? how many ?
> >      (there are different All-in-Wonder cards: mach64, Rage128, Radeon
> >       and they come with different decoder chips).
>
> Just mail a diff with the new #defines to Alan ...

OK

> >    * is there an issue of latency versus number of buffers versus
> >      reserved space ? Any comments from people who care about such
> >      stuff ?
>
> Using more (than two) capture buffers basically reduces the risc that
> you lose frames on temporary CPU load peaks.

Do you know of any apps that actually care about latency issues ?

                          thanks

                             Vladimir Dergachev