Re: two CPIA cameras at once

Philipp Ineichen wrote:

Hello,

Actually I am encountering the same problem. Any suggestions will be
appreciated.

Philipp

Hello,

I've been unable to get two USB CPIA cameras to work reliably on the
same machine at more or less the same time. . . .
Well, as my message suggested, try semaphores. After my last query to this list, I fixed up my semaphore modifications for motion 2.6.2 a bit and now I can reliably get two cameras to work capturing continuously on the same machine for several weeks without problems.

I have placed my hacked up versions of motion 2.6.2 at:

http://www.interstice.com/drewes/motion-2.6.2-with-semaphore.tgz

My modifications have been noted in the code with my initials, "RPD". Please note that this code is a bit hacky and should probably be cleaned up in several ways. For example, you must start the motion process for /dev/video0 *first* since only the motion process on /dev/video0 will attempt to initialize the SYSV semaphores. If you start /dev/video1 first, the semaphores will not exist and things won't work. In your startup script, pause for 5 seconds or so between the startup of the motion process on /dev/video before you attempt to start the other video devices.

Sorry I don't have time right now to prepare patches, but at the current state of the code it isn't ready for mainstream use anyway.

Rich