Re: What stereo decoder is this?

Roberto Jung Drebes wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a AverMedia TV98 Stereo, which is working OK in Linux in mono
> mode. This card has none of the recognized stereo decoders. I have
> contacted AverMedia, asking if it really has a decoder chip, and they said
> that the small part in the upper left of the card, as seen on this
> picture:
>
> http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/aver/P7310014.JPG
>
> is responsible for stereo decoding (LBX). It has a "Sony" label, but I'm
> in doubt if it is indeed a stereo decoder. Does anyone know? There are
> more pictures and information here:
>
> http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~drebes/aver/
>
> Is there anyway I can scan all addresses of a I2C bus to see what
> addresses respond?
>
> The funny thing is that, altough v4l sees the card as a mono card, xawtv
> correctly says if a channel has stereo or mono audio, and on those
> channels with stereo/sap, the only audio I hear is the sap.
>
> Any tip?

	How odd. I have seen that Sony module before, I have one on a set top
box here. There's a picture of it at
http://www.phoenixgarage.org/nt150/graphics/bezelpcb.jpg (look out, it's
big!)

	The one on my settop is removeable, pulling it off the board results in
the TV audio not being mixed into the sound card audio, so we presumed
it was a mixer of some sort.

	iirc, there aren't any chips or anything on the back - just the
capacitors you see on the top, which would sortof preclude
programmability.

	I'll look at mine again, see if there's maybe a blob of epoxy over top
of an ic on the backside or something.

	I don't know enough about stereo decoding, is it possible to decode
stereo with just an array of capacitors?

 - Eric