Re: VBI format

sojan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>  Hi,
>     The current definition of the VIDIOC_S_FMT for the VBI makes a
>  restriction that, requiring the calling application to define a RANGE of
>  lines. It also does not specify how the API for sliced data should look.
>
>  Also, it is possible to have multiple formats in different lines. The
>  driver should be able to simultaneously capture different formats.
>
>  Here are some ideas to address these,
>
>  1. Each open should be configurable  for a SET of lines and the
>     format. For example, the user should be able to use one open instance
>     to read Closed Caption data and use another open for say, WSS.

Sounds a bit over-engineered to me.  Why do you need sets instead of
ranges?  Are the lines for different data types interleaved or something
like that?

>  2. Rather than setting a range of lines in the VIDIOC_S_FMT, we should be
>     able to request a SET of lines. This can be done without altering the
>     current API by making the VIDIOC_S_FMT cumulative, i.e. the previously
>     set range of lines is "remembered".

Sorry, but changing the semantics of VIDIOC_S_FMT does break the API.

>  3. 2 Byte header for Sliced data.
>     If we follow 2, it would be necessary to indicate to the reader, to
>     which line of video data, the data in the buffer belongs to.

Why?  The application should know which data lines it has asked for ...

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.