VBI format

Hi,
   The current definition of the VIDIOC_S_FMT for the VBI makes a
restriction that, requiring the calling application to define a RANGE of
lines. It also does not specify how the API for sliced data should look.

Also, it is possible to have multiple formats in different lines. The
driver should be able to simultaneously capture different formats.

Here are some ideas to address these,

1. Each open should be configurable  for a SET of lines and the
   format. For example, the user should be able to use one open instance
   to read Closed Caption data and use another open for say, WSS.

2. Rather than setting a range of lines in the VIDIOC_S_FMT, we should be
   able to request a SET of lines. This can be done without altering the
   current API by making the VIDIOC_S_FMT cumulative, i.e. the previously
   set range of lines is "remembered". A special format value can be
   defined to reset all the lines. All the lines for a particular format
   can be read by a single open instance. This would also make it easy to
   ensure that the lines are received by the user in broadcast order.

3. 2 Byte header for Sliced data.
   If we follow 2, it would be necessary to indicate to the reader, to
   which line of video data, the data in the buffer belongs to. We could
   have a two byte header before each line of data, to indicate the line
   number, the field and the validity of the data in that line.

Comments, suggestions?

Regards
Sojan.