Re: V4L2 to-do list, No.2

Alan Cox wrote:
> > Looking at your patch, I see no reason not to add it. If nobody wants to
> > use it, then fine. But if someone is creating a application/driver pair
> > and has a compelling reason to use it, then there is a standardized way.
>
>  read() is surely the standard way

Yes, that I forgot to mention:  read() can do userspace dma too in some
cases.  For partial reads and non-blocking I/O a kernel bounce buffer is
needed, in other cases the driver can do zerocopy I/O for capture via
read().

BTW: What do the standards (POSIX et. al.) say about the status of a
     read buffer after a interrupted system call?  undefined?  not
     modified?  i.e. if read() starts the zerocopy I/O, then goes sleep
     interruptible until the grabber card is done, it might happen that
     the read() system call returns with -EINTR while the DMA transfer
     is in progress.  Is this ok?  Or should I better go sleep
     uninterruptible?

  Gerd

--
Damn lot people confuse usability and eye-candy.