Re: DVD player /DVBS player/recorder with linux on TV *only*

Hi ,

Your posting caught my attention. I am doing something similar to yours.
What caught my attention is that your manage to hide the bios message.

I am trying to do that, but just don't know where to start.

As for how compact linux kernel can be .. hmmm i will say it varies depends on your needs. For my case I managed to have a full working linux kernel with XFS in a 8M Flash (BusyBox was used).

There are a few tiny linux distribution around, so you don't really have to re-invent the wheel. But for my case I package my own linux and make it modular so as in future .. in the "box" has or needs addition functions. Users all have to do is just flash in the new modules. But the way, the kernal will be running in Ram, and all data (eg movies files are in HDD).
I don't have the web address of hand, will email to you later.

I have another question? Are you using or which X server are you using??
Cos' me still trying to reduce or find a small X server.

Cheers,

Don

>>> Margareta_Coddé <pin32685@xxxxx> 08/27/01 06:48AM >>>
I'm looking to use Linux for a specific task:
Playing DVD's and receive DVBS feeds and recording them.
But : it's a stand alone system and I'm thinking to write my
own bios/kernel where the bios is a stripped down version
of a award bios en somking of kernel that handles dvd/dvbs
support   OR   a commercial/GNU based OS and additional
software.  I want to avoid bios messages, no OS splash screen and no dektop just the strict minimum eg SAT has
top priority but the system must start the DVD application as soon when a DVD is inserted.
The BIOS part is almost finished (runs even faster then awards original one) but I have no idea in how far a linux kernal can be restricted.

The final version will look like this :

- short bios messages (only initialisation messages)
- direct output to TV screen
- Unified on-screen menu structure for both DVD/DVBs

Does anyone has an idea on how compact a linux kernel can be made and if I'm not inventing a second wheel here eg
is there a project going somewhere in this direction.

Stefaan Codde