[Q] Video and HA

Hello all,

I have finally found some time to explore Linux support for video etc.
and was hoping from some pointers.  I am in the process of buying all
sorts of new hardware to be added to an existing home LAN (primarily
linux-based, windows boxes only for end-users, not for any sort of
control).

My goals include a fair amount of home-automation, and a general
preference for having programmable control over all of my devices and
I/O.  For example, I am experimenting with IBM's ViaVoice and related
technologies, and would like to be able to use such voice recognition
capabilities even in situations with lots of background noise
(i.e. with music and/or TV playing, etc.)  One "simple" way to do this
is to have the LAN control as much of the sound output as possible.
That way, it can "subtract" all sound it knows about from the input
signals it receives.  That is just an example of why I want the LAN to
have complete control over audio/visual input/output - there are lots
of other reasons.

So, with the above in mind, I'm hoping someone can give me some
suggestions on what I should be lookingn for in the way of video
and audio cards that work well in Linux (RH 7.1).

VIDEO CARD
   Currently I'm leaning towards the Matrox G450
      http://www.thechipmerchant.com/-10010-1.html
      http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1322
      http://store.yahoo.com/thechipmerchant/4907-0.html
   over the All-in-Wonder Radeon or GeForce 3.

   Matrox G450   32MB DDR, 74/147/360 core/memory/ramdac sppeds
       with dvd player video editing, s-video, composite input/output
       timeshifting with picture-in-picture tv tuner and dual monitor
        support.

   GeForce 3     64MB DDR, 200/460/350 core/memory/ramdac speed
      with TV + DVI

   Radeon        64MB DDR, 188/366/300 core/memory/ramdac speeds,
      with specialized dvd decoding chip

   Although the core/memory speeds of the Geforce and Radeon are much
   better than the Matrox (and more memory too), the Matrox has
   all the capabilities I need for dvd and tv control
   (picture-in-picture, dvd editing, etc.)

   Any suggestions for other cards?  I wish the Matrox had a 64Mb
   card, but the G550 (to be released soon) doesn't seem to add hardly
   *any* new capabilities.

   I am not a gamer, so the Radeon and GeForce3's specialized gamer
   mindset isn't a selling point for me.  However, how much linux
   support exists for the Matrox G450?

    - I want to be able to send TV signals thru the LAN before being
      processed by the TV so that I know about audio, so I can
      "filter" the signal with various annotations, etc.

    - I'd like a card that allows me to do everything with the TV
      signal that I could do with a TV, and more.  Does the Matrox
      allow this?  How about high-definition support?

    - The dual-head nature of the Matrox is a big selling point.  Any
      other linux-capable cards that handle dual heads, etc.?

SOUND CARD

   I have to do more reading up on sound cards.  Here are the ones
   I'm looking at right now.  Let me know if there are others I
   should be considering!

     Creative Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1
        http://www.digit-life.com/articles/sbliveplatinum51/
     Genius Sound Maker Live 5.1
        http://www.digit-life.com/articles/geniussoundmakerlive51/
     Audiophile 2496
        http://www.m-audio.com/m-audio/html/products/audiophile.htm

     I'm leaning towards the Audiophile, because it supports multiple
     different input/output streams, whereas I believe the others only
     allow for one stream (although that stream can be sent multiple
     places).  I'd like a card that would be able to send one audio
     stream to a TV out, and another to headphones, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance for any comments you may have,
Wade