Re: "LEX" Linux Edit System (was: Multiple Cards)

Previously, Justin Schoeman typed into the ether:
> john quade wrote:
>
> > This may sound a bit stupid to all of you, but I'm a newbie to linux
> > video [so] bear with me.
> > I've retired after 32 years in the film and tv business as an actor,
> > writer, director, etc., and I'm very interested in building a
> > professional grade, broadcast quality, linux edit box, that I call Lex.
> > Of course, I don't know what I'm doing but, I was wondering if anyone
> > out there is working on designing and building a broadcast quality
> > non-linear editing system based on the linux os.
> > Thanks,
> > John Quade

Hey, John (and all)!

As a 25 year Video / Media production veteran and a long time fan of
User Empowering computer systems myself, I've been working toward the
same "Lex" goals for about a year and a half. I'm also an intermediate
level programmer who has marketed a couple of my own 3rd party support
products for nonlinear editing and machine control, so I'm hoping
to additionally contribute to the efforts of creating Linux video
production tools that is going on here.

Wish I could say I've done substantial work exploring the Video / Media
tools that are already under development for Linux, but my involvement
up to now has been mostly a matter of studying and exploring the core
systems, languages and community. I'm finally arriving at a point where
I feel comfortable enough with all of the Linux ins and outs to start
pursuing the Video production goals.

Thanks for the excuse to introduce myself.

> Try:
> http://heroinewarrior.com/

It also is my understanding that the heroinewarrior "Broadcast2000"
nonlinear editing software is now included as part of the SUSE 7.2 Linux
distribution (2.4.x kernel). This seems a good indication that BC2K is
mature enough to be stable, "user friendly" and productive now. (I'm
very anxious to try this package out as soon as my time and equipment
budgets allow.)

peace
(after justice)
aaron