VBI interface

Hi All,
A new member here. The V4L2 VBI interface assumes that the VBI data which is captured will be raw samples. The SAA7114 decoder can slice several formats simultaneously. It would be useful to be able to open different instances of the driver and program each instance to return different formats on different lines. I feel that the current interface is a little too simple for this kind of capture. Since each capture will have data from diffent lines, I feel we could prepend each line of data with a couple of bytes indicating the data type, validity and the line number. Has anyone worked on this? Comments?

Thanks and regards
Sojan.