Re: web camera for linux

Mihnea-Costin Grigore wrote:

Beware of the ToUCam XS though, it is not made by Philips and it is
_not_ supported in Linux, although it is pretty cheap and offers a good
image quality.

I have support for it in my latest (unreleased) ov511 driver. It seems to capture the images fine, but they are in a proprietary JPEG format. If anyone here has experience with JPEG or Huffman encodings and would like to help, please contact me privately.

The alternative would be to obtain a binary-only decompression module from OmniVision. I want to avoid this if at all possible, since it would be a maintenance nightmare.

--
Mark McClelland
mmcclell@xxxxxxxxxxx