Re: ibm C-it USB camera

Quoting bml22@xxxxxxxxxxx <bml22@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> is anyone on this list aware of someone who has made an effort to improve
> the performance of or quality of the ibm C-it USB camera driver under linux?
>
> i've used the camera under windows and both its performance and the video
> quality are signficantly better...

The Linux driver for this camera is based on reverse engineering of the
USB protocol and the image encoding. It is pretty poor as it is, but
to make it perfect one would need specs from Xirlink, and they are not
going to publish that any time soon, as I understand.

Model 3 camera is especially bad in this respect, because it generally
works but the image has greenish tint - not because of total absence
of one color but because of some sort of imbalance. It can not be
properly corrected without precise formulas (that would come from the
DSP guy who programmed the firmware in the camera).

IBM/Xirlink cameras are not recommended for new purchase because of that
(see http://www.linux-usb.org/ibmcam/). In fact, the most recent crop
of Model 4 cameras is not supported at all because these cameras don't
even have uncompressed video streams any more! With all recent news from
courts I have little desire to work on a decompressor... even if it
would be easy (I doubt that - the compressed signal is a very
good white noise).

Cameras are complicated devices, with tens of registers that you are
supposed to program from time to time to achieve white balance, adjust
hue, contrast, gain of channels, compensate for the flicker produced
by fluorescent lights... it is hard to do without specs.

There are cameras that have fully functioning drivers, written with
specs in hand - like CPiA, OV511, Philips. Avoid other devices.

Dmitri

--
Microsoft: where do we want you to go today?