Re: No buffer space available

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 around 09:32:05 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Bigphysarea uses bootmem already, the problem is more that i want to
> > share the allocated bootmem with other users/drivers.
>
> So you think the bigphysarea layer is still worth having as well as the bootmem
> layer ?

Well, at least for my needs its very much ok.
I concur that if you have only a grabber card, I could restructure
the driver to take memory at boottime (when linked in) because
having a bigphysarea mechanism does not win you much, but when
using it as a module (me! me! me!) or with more memory hunger
apps it is usefull.

> > If i'm not entiry mistaken the driver already sees the missing bigphysarea
> > symbols and compiles for kmalloc. Oh, can i use bootmem in a module?
>
> bootmem is over and done with before modules ever get loaded.

Yes, I noticed that too. So its out for module use than.
Or maybe a smaller helper linkage which - at boottime - allocs
sufficient memory (but howmuch? since buffer size and #buffers are
user given parameters now-a-days) and gives it to the module
when asked for. I think this latest possibility has the highest
chance of getting through, since Linus is against bigphysearea
(-alikes)

    Met vriendelijke groet,
        Pauline Middelink
--
GPG Key fingerprint = 2D5B 87A7 DDA6 0378 5DEA  BD3B 9A50 B416 E2D0 C3C2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelink