Re: Philips webcam questions

Hello,

Coalescint two mails in one...

On 24-Jul-01 Greg Hosler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a USB Philips webcam working with either xawtv, webcam,
> and ultimately gnomemeeting. And I'm not having alot of luck.
>
> I can load the pwc module, and syslog shows the camera being detected.
>
> I can do xawtv -hwscan, and xawtv sees /dev/video0, name : Philips 675
> webcam
>
> I can also load the philips decompression module (pwcx), which supposedly
> gains me access to add'l palettes, sizes, and frame rates.

Indeed, no additional palettes. How did you get that idea?

>         The driver has potential sizes of 128x96, 160x120, 176x144,
>         320x240, 352x288 and 640x480. 384x288 is not among them, and
>         I cannot see how to tell xawtv to settle for one of the sizes
>         that the camera can deliver. There might be an add'l problem
>         after this though. see webcam.

The size is not important anymore; the driver will padd
non-conforming sizes. However, you can always use -geometry with xawtv (it´s
a standard X11 option).

> webcam
>
>         When I run webcam, I get the message:
>
>                 can't get rgb24 data
>
>         Well, it turns out that the default palettes available when you
>         load the module are: yuv420, yuv420p - addl pallets, including
>         rgb24 are only available once the decompressor is loaded, and
>         apparently need to be selected via an ioctl. but I cannot locate
>         a utility that will send this ioctl to the driver.

Well, the place for selecting a palette are in VIDIOCSPICT en
VIDIOCMCAPTURE. But rgb is still not available.

On 24-Jul-01 Greg Hosler wrote:

> On 24-Jul-2001 Mark Cooke wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Greg Hosler wrote:
>>

>>>         Well, it turns out that the default palettes available when you
>>>         load the module are: yuv420, yuv420p - addl pallets, including
>>>         rgb24 are only available once the decompressor is loaded, and
>>>         apparently need to be selected via an ioctl. but I cannot locate
>>>         a utility that will send this ioctl to the driver.
>>
>> Really ?
>
> I'm partially guessing, based uponteh following:
>
>         /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/Philips.txt
>
> mentions about palette options when insmodding the module. however, when
> trying w/ rgb24, insmod gives an error.

Erhm, that documentation is obviously out of date. It went in as I supplied
it, but without the driver supporting the palettes it mentions. Will patch.

>> I did not believe the compressor added palettes.  You need
>> to add 420(p) support to webcam.  See the ccvt library that Nemosoft
>> have on the philips camera pages at http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/.
>
> I'll take a look. but, are you saying that I need to modify the source
> code (which I can do) ?

Exactly.

> I was hoping that this might be supported "outta da box"...

Nope. And you will certainly not the last to be confronted with this
problem. See the discussion on my webpage about this...

 - Nemosoft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000