        .
>> webcam
>>
>>         When I run webcam, I get the message:
>>
>>                 can't get rgb24 data
>>
>>         Well, it turns out that the default palettes available when you
>>         load the module are: yuv420, yuv420p - addl pallets, including
>>         rgb24 are only available once the decompressor is loaded, and
>>         apparently need to be selected via an ioctl. but I cannot locate
>>         a utility that will send this ioctl to the driver.
>
> Really ?

I'm partially guessing, based uponteh following:

        /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/Philips.txt

mentions about palette options when insmodding the module. however, when
trying w/ rgb24, insmod gives an error. grepping palette drivers/usb/pwc*
displays what looks like initial load palette options (yuv420/yuv420p only),
and others (in pwc-ctl (?) which I suspect is the ioctl support for this
driver).

> I did not believe the compressor added palettes.  You need
> to add 420(p) support to webcam.  See the ccvt library that Nemosoft
> have on the philips camera pages at http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/.

I'll take a look. but, are you saying that I need to modify the source code
(which I can do) ? I was hoping that this might be supported "outta da box"...

>> gnomemeeting
>>
>>         gnomemeeting simply refuses to see the video device. No idea what's
>>         going on yet, but I'm suspecting it might be related to the fact
>>         that
>>         neither xawtv and/or webcam will work w/ this webcam.
>
> If this is based on openh323, then try CVS openh323, and I have some
> additional mods to openh323 for the philips.

yes, gnomemeeting is based upon openh323. I'll give cvs a try.

   You can release software that's good, software that's inexpensive, or
   software that's available on time.  You can usually release software
   that has 2 of these 3 attributes -- but not all 3.
| Greg Hosler                                   hosler@xxxxxxxxxxx    |