Re: black stripes

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Adam wrote:

> > I think it might be somehow related to the fact that in my XFree86-4
> > config file I have defined only one mode, that is "1280x1024", and I
> > suspect XVideo extension switches resolution, when running in full-screen
> > overlay mode. Is this case?
> >
> > If so what kind of resolutions I should add there besides my default one?
> >
> > Also where I can find information on differences between grab display and
> > overlay. I have a vague idea how they differ but I would know difference
> > in more details.
>
> I finally got it working "right" (?) at the full screen overlay mode
> by specifying "fullscreen = 640x480" and adding "640x480" mode
> for XFree86 config file.

This fixed the problem because the horizontal capture resolution is now
fixed at 640 pixels. The problem I was getting (and I'm assuming it's the
same thing you're seeing) occurs when the tv card is asked to produce a
picture that is greater than 768 pixels. If you experiment with resizing
the window in non-fullscreen mode, you should be able to verify this. Bear
in mind that the height of the window does also have an effect (make sure
it's greater than about 300 pixels).

> However, I have impression that this image is interlacted and that only
> every other frame is being displayed. or so it seems to me, am I wrong
> here?

I'd imagine that you'll be getting some interlacing (because the tv card
is being asked to show more lines [400] than there are in a single field
[<300]). Every *frame* should be showing up, however.

--
Jonathan Paisley
paisleyj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx