Digitising blanking region

Hi,

A brief intro:

I need to grab from four cameras simultaneously into a single PC. I have
four Imagenation PXC200 frame grabbers feeding four fast SCSI drives and
this basically works great - many thanks to the V4L(2) developers!

Problem:

I also need to capture some lines (probably 5-10) from the vertical
blanking above the normal image. We have a VITC timecode there that needs
to be decoded to check and align all captured images. We have lots of
cameras, and they are all synchronised.

I am using redhat 7.1 with v4l/bttv-0.7.69 or v4l2/bttv-0.8.18, kernel
2.4.6 final. I have tried bttvgrab (0.15.10) and streamer (xawtv 3.55),
but both will not allow me to increase the capture height beyond 480
(NTSC).

Is this a limitation in the grabbing software, or the bttv drivers? We
previously used these cards with Windows, so I know they are able to
digitise into the blanking area. Any help or pointers would be greatly
appreciated - I really would prefer to do this in Linux!

On SGI's I used to be able to do this by specifying a negative offset. I
didn't see any equivalent way to do this in the documentation.

Many thanks,

Iain.