Re: xfs

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> Justin Schoeman wrote:
> >
> > 1) I use reserfs on all my partitions, but I have not benchmarked it
> > against ext2 (or any of the others).  On my Athlon 600, I get 13MByte/s
> > to disk without any problems (system load is around 12%).  The raw disk
> > can maintain 28MB/s, but I think the real bottleneck is the PCI bus, not
> > the fs.
>
>         Say what? 32-bit 33mhz PCI has about 132 megabytes (not bits, bytes)
> per second bandwidth. A TV card needs at most 1/4th of that. If the raw
> i/o capability of your harddrive is 28MB/sec, it needs less than 1/4th
> of that. Even accounting for overhead, and assuming you are running at
> the hardware speeds of your capture card and hard disk, more than half
> of the pci bandwidth wouldn't get utilized.
>
>  - Eric

Well, you have:
1) capture card to main memory = 13MB/s
2) main memory to HDD = 13MB/s
3) other access (screen updates, etc.)
For a total of just over 26MB/s - the rest is consumed by bus
arbitration/contention/etc.  Most desktop chipsets are not very
effiecient, and with multiple devices accessing the PCI bus they max out
at _much_ less than the theoretical maximum...  Unfortunate, but it
happens.

-justin