Multiple input capture on Bt878

I'm trying to get video capture from all 4 inputs of a bttv
card simultanously ( multiplexed).  I've been doing this under
FreeBSD/OpenBSD following way:

switch_input(0)
capture_frame(0)
switch_input(3)
capture_frame(3)

This works ok, although the 25fps dives to 2-3fps with all 4 inputs
capturing.  I've got pthreaded mmaped capture going under Linux and I'm
wondering how I should go about this input switching problem?
Is there a better way to archive this under Linux? I'm gonna test this
method tonight:

[background capture thread]
  VIDEOCSYNC( buffer# ) //wait for imaged to be captured
  memcpy from mmaped region to my_buffer[input#]
  VIDIOCSTUNER( next input# )
  VIDEOCCAPTURE        //async grab frame into next buffer

Is there any voodoo-magic/c that I can do to get linux to sync to the
inputs faster?

Would using VIDEO_CAPTURE_ODD or VIDEO_CAPTURE_EVEN and recording
< 300 lines speed this up.  I've tried it under FreeBSD with out any
extra speed.

I've noticed some refereces to 50/60fps capture in the Brooktree specs and
in the FreeBSD/OpenBSD drivers.  Would I need to use some special cameras
with external sync signals to get this magical speed?

What extra capabilites does v4l2 for Bt878? Apart from the great API
cleanup I can't really tell.