Re: Re: xawtv 3.49 and Philips webcams

Hi,

On 13-Jun-01 Christopher Ross wrote:

> The 4:2:0 is a standard format, derived from CCIR-601 (1982).
> To quote Benoit (ch2 Digitization of Video Signals):
>
>       For applications that are less demanding in terms of resolution,
>       and in view of the bit-rate reduction, a certain number of
by-products
>       of the 4:2:2 standard have been defined as follows:
>
>       The 4:2:0 format
>       This format is obtained from the 4:2:2 format by using the same
>       chroma samples for two successive lines, in order to reduce the
>       amount of memory required in processing circuitry while at the
>       same time giving a vertical resolution of the same order as the
>       horizontal resolution. Luminance and horizontal chrominance
>       resolutions are the same as for the 4:2:2 format
>       [...snip...]

[snip]

Okay, interesting stuff, but it still fails to address the most basic
question: in what order are the bytes (supposed to be) arranged? It seems
nobody dared to propose a specific format.

> Oh, in searching Amazon to get the above reference for you I found
> that of the two customer reviews the second (5*) is also from a Philips
> employee. This is clearly the book we crib all our stuff from ;-)

*heh*

> I've tried but failed to find the ITU specification itself online (not
> least
> because their website seems to hate Mozilla - but that's a different
> problem). There's a useful summary (with a link to the 4:2:0 variation)
> at http://www.electric-words.com/dict/9/601ccir.html

You have to pay for most ITU documentation, and that´s why you won´t find
it online. And they aren´t cheap. I recall looking for documentation on the
H.263 protocol, etc. and arrived at their site (www.itu.ch), and found that
in order to get enough information about video conferencing stuff, I´d need
a dozen pieces of documentation, ranging in price from CHF 20 to CHF 65
(Swiss franks).

 - Nemosoft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000