Re: Re: xawtv 3.49 and Philips webcams

The 4:2:0 is a standard format, derived from CCIR-601 (1982).
To quote Benoit (ch2 Digitization of Video Signals):

	For applications that are less demanding in terms of resolution,
	and in view of the bit-rate reduction, a certain number of by-products
 	of the 4:2:2 standard have been defined as follows:

	The 4:2:0 format
	This format is obtained from the 4:2:2 format by using the same
	chroma samples for two successive lines, in order to reduce the
	amount of memory required in processing circuitry while at the
	same time giving a vertical resolution of the same order as the
	horizontal resolution. Luminance and horizontal chrominance
	resolutions are the same as for the 4:2:2 format
	[...snip...]
	In order to avoid the chrominance line flickering observed in
	SECAM at sharp horizontal transients ... Cb and Cr samples are
	obtained by interpolating 4:2:2 samples of the two successive
	lines they will "colourize" at display time.

	This 4:2:0 format is of special importance as it is the input
	format used for D2-MAC and MPEG-2 (MP@ML) coding.

		from Benoit, H.
		Digital Television: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 and Principles
		of the DVB System.
		Arnold 1997
		ISBN 0 340 69190 5

I recommend this book.itu.int/itudoc/itu-r/rec/index.html
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340691905/o/qid=992447125/sr=8-4/202-9394619-8581457

Oh, in searching Amazon to get the above reference for you I found
that of the two customer reviews the second (5*) is also from a Philips
employee. This is clearly the book we crib all our stuff from ;-)

I've tried but failed to find the ITU specification itself online (not least
because their website seems to hate Mozilla - but that's a different
problem). There's a useful summary (with a link to the 4:2:0 variation)
at http://www.electric-words.com/dict/9/601ccir.html

Chris R.