RE: Re: xawtv 3.49 and Philips webcams

Hi,

On 13-Jun-01 Flavio Villanustre wrote:
> You're right. It was my fault. However, I saw that format empirically (aka
> reverse engineering) from the results of YOUR driver :-) when an
> application requests a hardware unsupported format (like a 730/740 philips
> webcam under a kernel 2.4.5 requested to deliver CIF or QCIF, while it, in
> fact delivers a mixed up SIF or QSIF format).

Hmm, looks like I need to do some more damage control here... The 730/740
only has 160x120, 320x240 or 640x480 sizes. No CIF/QCIF (I already pointed
out to them that this wasn´t such a great idea).

It used to be in my driver that it could deliver ANY size, just by padding
with black (RGB) or gray (YUV) borders. However this was done in the
conversion routines and you know what happened to that :( So right now the
driver is not checking for image sizes (it didn´t have to).

> I wrote down some quick and dirty conversion routines for openh323 stack
> and I may tell you that the format is really ugly:
>
> If the application requests QCIF, the driver, rather than failing, it says
> it can deliver that format, but it instead delivers a padded/trimmed
> format like this:
>
> uuyyyyuuyyyy
> vvyyyyvvyyyy

This is simply not true, unless you´re an Arab or Hebrew native :) It
delivers yyyy uu yyyy uu etc. But it could be that you´re falling somewhere
in the middle

> If the application requests CIF, the driver delivers:
>
> yyuuyyyyuuyyyy
> yyvvyyyyvvyyyy

*blink* I think something is being truncated here.

> If you want I may send you the application (pwlib/openh323/ohphone), my
> conversion routines and my philips ToUcam Fun camera (just kidding about
> the latter :-)

Thank you, but I don´t have any ports left on my USB hub (already got 5
webcams:-)) Maybe I´ll hack something up this weekend that will at least
have the driver complain about invalid formats etc.

 - Nemosoft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000