Re: v4l1/programming questions (slightly off topic)

Eugene Kuznetsov wrote:

> Hello Justin,
>
> Tuesday, June 12, 2001, 5:21:55 AM, you wrote:
>
> JS> Hi everybody.  Working to round off NVrec, I have run into 2 problems,
> JS> and I was hoping someone on the list might be able to lend a hand.  My
> JS> appologies for posting slightly off-topic :-(.
>
> JS> 1) Is there any way to get the frame rate / frame period from a V4L1
> JS> device?  I don't see anything that returns it specifically.  I do see
> JS> that GCHAN gives back a norm, although the API doesn't define what the
> JS> values returned in norm will be...
>
> I think that there's no way to get this from device, does the device
> know about its frame rate at all? Safest way will be to ask user what
> frame rate he wants.

... just another reason to hate v4l1....

> JS> 2) How do I get my files longer than 4GB?  For some reason I cannot seem
> JS> to get it right, even with programs that claim to support long file
> JS> names!  As far as I can see, compiling with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
> JS> should do the trick, and it does seem to work, if you "nm" the result,
> JS> you can see it uses open64, rather than open, but all the read/write
> JS> functions remain the same!
>
> It's a bit tricky. You should compile with -DLARGEFILE64_SOURCE, use
> O_LARGEFILE when opening file, and make sure that you've got support
> or large files in both kernel and filesystem ( you need kernel 2.4;
> write to FAT32 partition, because AFAIK ext2 filesystem does not
> support large files ).

Ah - thanks.  I forgot about the fs problem - apparently you must mount
reiserfs partitions with "-o conv" to upgrade 3.5.x disk format to 3.6
for large files (although you cannot then mount the partition under
Linux 2.2.x again, but why would you want to ;-> ).

-justin