RE: Interlace(?) problem :(

Hi,

On 03-Jun-01 Don van der Haghen wrote:
> - The problem:
> The problem is that I'm getting these horizontal colums of lines over my
> screen in full screen mode. When the window is small however, I am
> getting a perfect image.
>
> I have made two screenshots to illustrate the problem:
> fullscreen, with distortions: http://www.techisg.org/~don/tvshot.jpg
> small window, perfect: http://www.techisg.org/~don/tvshot2.jpg

[snip]

Well, the cause is obvious: your TV card can´t push the image fast enough
over the PCI bus to your video card. I had similar problems on my PCI
based video card, until I replaced it with an AGP card (A Diamond Viper
V550, coincidently also with an NVidia TNT2 chipset). Now I can run
fullscreen and have all kinds of other output on my screen without a single
glitch. In addition, my USB port keeps working (starting TV while a webcam
was running would kill the webcam).

You may notice that the non-moving parts of your screen (like the MTV logo)
are perfectly in order.

> - Background information:
> At first the image was a complete disaster in fullscreen, because half
> the screen wasn't shown. When I turned off 'P2C/C2P Concurrency' in my
> BIOS, I got a whole screen but it left me with these distortions.
> I've tried just about every BIOS setting combination availiable, but the
> distortions won't go away. Further I tried about every xawtv commandline
> option and every bttv module driver option.

I´m afraid you will have to start digging in your PCI options with ´lspci´
and ´setpci´. More specifically, the PCI latency timer. You must give the TV
card enough bandwidth to get the image through to your video card. However,
be careful with this!

Also switching your card to 16 bit mode might help (only half of the data
has to get pushed through!)

> - My system:
> xawtv-3.49, running on Linux/i686
> Kernel: 2.4.5
> bttv: driver version 0.7.67
> tv card model: BT878(Pinnacle PCTV Studio/Ra)(II)
> XFree86 Version 4.0.3: Module nvidia version = 1.0.1251

Hmm. I´m running XFree 3.3.6; I don´t know how XFree86 4 handles the video
memory and direct access to it; I can hardly imagine it to be different than
in 3.3.6.

> graphics card: Chipset RIVA TNT2 (M64)

PCI or AGP?

> * And occasionally the following message:
> ----------------------------
> Jun  3 18:24:51 Don kernel: bttv0: irq: SCERR risc_count=0df2f054
> Jun  3 18:24:51 Don kernel: bttv0: irq: SCERR risc_count=0df2f05c

Also an indication of the bttv chip not being able to push the data through
in time.

Of course, in the end it might be that your motherboard simply can´t handle
this kind of data (due to limitations or bugs), in which case you are better
of with a combined TV-card/video card; this eliminates the PCI-to-PCI
transfer.

Hope this helps.

 - Nemosoft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000