RE: max capture frame rate from consumer hardware?

Hi,

On 01-Jun-01 Mike Coleman wrote:
> Does anyone know what the maximum frame rate is for capture of sharp (not
> blurry) images from consumer hardware (e.g., like a webcam or something)?
>
> I see some of these with specs implying they can do 20-30fps.  I'd like to
> be able to freeze motion, though (like a shutter speed of, say, 1/250 or
> 1/1000), and I'm wondering if any of these cheap cams can actually do
> that.

Yes, provided there´s enough light. That´s really all that counts; most
cameras nowadays use a CCD or CMOS sensor, and they have a shutter speed,
just like your old fashioned photocamera. ´xcept its done electronically of
course. With bright scenes, they reduce the time they use to accumulate
light, down to 1/10,000th of a second. This will result in even frozen
explosions:)

A good webcam can do what you want (hint: Philips :-))) ), or a reasonable
camera with grabber card. The 20-30 fps framerate is only used for delivery
of the final image to the card, due to the PAL/NTCS standards.

 - Nemosoft

Try SorceryNet!   One of the best IRC-networks around!   irc.sorcery.net:9000