bttv under RedHat 6.2 (w/updates)

(first time on the list; can't see it in the archive but may have
missed it)

I'm trying to get VRVS (vic, really) running on a RedHat 6.2 system.
I have a Bt878 and originally the bttv which comes with RedHat.

vic, xawtv etc. work ok on the 2.2.16 kernel that ships with RedHat 6.2,
but we try to keep each release updated so that the system is now running
2.2.19 kernel, still with the old bttv module.

Under this, vic hangs trying (I think) to do an ioctl VIDIOCSYNC and it
doesn't have a timeout (xawtv does).
After a lot of messing around I installed the new bttv and i2c modules in
a stock 2.2.19 kernel, and things work.
However, I'd really like things to work on a RedHat install with the RPM
library up-to-date. My attempts to use at least the RedHat kernel source
RPM failed for some reason (make modules failed, symbols missing or
duplicated etc.)

Ideas/suggestions/ anyone know of some RPMs for bttv/i2c that will work
with the RedHat kernel ?

(I suppose if I could get it to compile with the RedHat source I could
contrive to make an RPM for bttv and keep the database happy... Easier if
it already been done)

I'm also trying to install on a new machine with either RedHat 7.0 or
RedHat 7.1 XFS. 7.0 I think ships with the 2.2.16 kernel but the updates
take it to 2.2.19 again. Same issues; I still working on this.

On 7.1 XFS, with the 2.4.2-SGI_XFS_1.0 kernel and bttv that came with it,
xawtv seems to hang the system. I'm still working on this too....

(bought a new Hauppauge card with s-video thinking I would get s-video and
composite, so I could switch between room and document cameras in
software. Nah; hauppauge have filled up
the panel with FM, audio and remote control jacks and provide an s-video
to RCA converter. Out with the soldering iron if I can be bothered; add
more jacks. I fixed one card a while ago so I can get 3 composites, but
then I have to hack bttv too. What I really want I guess is a Bt878 with
4RCAs and an S-video, forget the tuner and sound)
)

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376