Re: Re: v4l2 + select() + read()

> One solution is to write a suite of tiny apps that make various V4L
> ioctls, and assume that the driver saves the states of these settings
> across open/close.

(v4lset -blah; cat) </dev/video0 | ...

You are absolutely right about the lack of a 'what formats can I set' ioctl.

> the video parameters on open so that things are at least consistent, but
> this effectively makes it impossible to write a hardware-independent
> read-based script.

Interesting. Should V4L mark 2 document this, document the other behaviour
which some apps rely on and/or provide an ioctl that resests ot defaults ?

> The solution, IMHO, is to do something like "vidcat -d /dev/video0 -s
> 352x288 -f jpeg | magicperlbits", and forget about read altogether. Do
> you see any disadvantage to that?

Read is the more of an easy to use API.

> >	convert_fromfmt_tofmt(from, to
> Not to nitpick, but wouldn't this be better:
>                convert(src, srcformat, dest, destformat)

Whichever..