Re: Multiple cameras

Homer Parker wrote:

>         Ok, I put a a camera for a customer of mine.. The love it.. Great..
> But, now they want multiple cameras. Is there any way to get multiple cameras
> working in a single computer? I'm currently just using a Hauppauge WinTV card
> (though the name *really* scared me! ;).. Can I get more than one of them in a
> computer? Is there a card designed to handle this situation? Am I going to a
> full blown camera server? Any and all help appreciated..

Well sorta. Kindof. Here's two ways:

1) Multiple grabber boards with multiple cameras. Limited to number of
pci slots you have, but in theory you can record from both if your
machine is fast enough.

2) Single Grabber board, multiple cameras using external hardware. You
could get some of the hardware meant for security applications to either
switch camera inputs or look at them all at once, etc.

3) One Grabber board, lots of X10 caeras. While these cameras aren't the
best in the world, they aren't too bad either. You can use an X10
Firecracker module to control which camera has power at any given time
(only one at a time please). In this way you can control your cameras
from the webpage you are looking at the cameras on with just a minimum
of scripting. My boss set things up like this for his boss so she could
watch her baby (and babysitter) in any room of her house. (At last count
she had 9 X10 cameras in the system).

Chris Kloiber