Re: XFS and video capture on Linux

"W. Michael Petullo" wrote:

> I am writing this mailing list to share my experiences with capturing
> video with Linux onto SGI's XFS filesystem.

> I would like to hear the experience of others with different filesystems
> and capturing video.  Would something like Linux's rawio interface be
> useful in this field?

I havn't done any quantatative benchmarking (I use reiserfs, just to
avoid fsck), but application level choices such as open flags,
buffering, flushing, use of threads etc make a huge amount of
difference. The fastest Linux capture application I've tried is
NuppelVideo.

http://mars.tuwien.ac.at/~roman/nuppelvideo/

My own testing has been writing to AVI files using my own library, and
interestingly I've found that writing to a SCSI disk under Linux there's
a slight - but not very significant - performace edge if I turn
buffering off using setvbuf after fopen, but that running the same code
on Solaris this produces a HUGE drop off in performance (10x slower?),
and setting a large buffer is best. For real-time writing it'd also be
best to use O_SYNC or frequent fflush's (to avoid any uncontrolled large
flushes), but I'm just doing non-realtime testing right now.

I havn't tried it, but given my Linux buffering experience I'd expect
that rawio would be beneficial. FYI you'll soon be able to do the same
thing with an O_DIRECT open flag in 2.4.5. I believe Andrea Arcangeli
already has a 2.4.4 O_DIRECT patch for ext2, and Stephen Tweedie is
working on one for XFS. I'm not sure about reiserfs.

Ben