XFS and video capture on Linux

I am writing this mailing list to share my experiences with capturing
video with Linux onto SGI's XFS filesystem.

Information about SGI's XFS filesystem may be found at
http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/.

I have been looking for a filesystem that meets two criteria: have
journaling functionality and be high performance.  When I say high
performance, I mean able to kick ass at storing large files quickly,
as with capturing uncompressed video to disk.

I have tried ext2, reiserfs, and XFS.

Ext2 is not a journaling filesystem, though its performance seems good.

Reiserfs is a journaling filesystem, but its performance in my case was
not very good.

XFS is a journaling filesystem that seems to smoke both ext2 and reiserfs
in performance.  So far I have found only two negatives related to XFS.
First, it has not been tested extensively by its developers with any
kernel other than 2.4.2.  2.4.2 suffers from loop-back device problems,
but I am sure XFS will support newer kernels soon.  Second, XFS is huge;
the driver takes up hundreds of KBs of memory.  This does not affect my
particular system, though.

For hardware, I have a 550Mhz Athlon, a 10,000 RPM SCSI hard drive, and
96 MB of RAM.  I am using a cheap Hauppauge WinTV PCI video capture card.
Using XFS with this configuration, I am able to capture uncompressed
YUV2 encoded QuickTime video at 30 frames per second and a resolution
of 640x480 pixels.  Neither ext2 or reiserfs seemed to be able to keep
up with this.

I would like to hear the experience of others with different filesystems
and capturing video.  Would something like Linux's rawio interface be
useful in this field?

--
W. Michael Petullo

:wq