STB TV PCI - how to get TV audio working?

I finally got around to installing my new STB TV PCI card, and it's
working fine with xawtv other than that I don't know what I need to do
in order to hear the TV audio, and couldn't find how in the docs or
grubbing around the net.

Do I need to connect the STB audio out to my sound card in, or can xawtv
give me TV audio without that, and if so what do I need to do?

bttv detects the card as having a TDA9850 audio chip, and NO TEA6300
fader.

This is being used with the kernel bttv driver from 2.2.15 and xawtv
3.21 (yeah I know - time to upgrade - I've tried 2.4 but havn't jumped
yet!).

Do I need anything in my conf.modules to enable the TDA9850 or unmute
it?

I assume a mixer setting in my .xawtv config file is only applicable if
I connect the audio to my sound card (or use another audio device)?

Ben