Re: Problems trying to use xawtv

On Sun, 20 May 2001, François Guimond wrote:

> That came to mind to and even if I chmod the video0 device to give all the
> rw access it still happens. I also did some pipe testing (reading from and
> writing to /dev/video0) and it gave me "No such device". Could it be that
> some modules aren't loaded into my kernel to recognize the device or maybe

Yes, "No such device" means exactly that.

The inode (/dev/ entry) exists and can be opened, but either the driver
modules can't be found, can't be loaded, or for some reason the driver
isn't happy once loaded - could be that it doesn't think the card is
present, or some other problem.

Run "dmesg" or look at /var/log/messages to see what error messages come
up - they might even be self-explanatory.

I usually run "tail -f /var/log/messages" in another xterm while initialy
accessing a new hardware device.

> that 2.4.2-2 doesn't support my card's video?  Anybody have a working
> All-In-Wonder Radeon setup willing to give me the details on their
> configuration?

I'm not at all familiar with that card, perhaps someone else?

--
Steve Tell  tell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx