Re: BT878 Digitizing from Videotape

Hi,

Thanks for the discussion so far about the problems I was having digitising off of a videotape. We were pretty careful about the
setup of the system: a Panasonic industrial VHS VCR with a 2-metre
cable connecting it to a b/w monitor and then from there to the
computer via another 2-metre cable. The monitor had inputs and output connectors for this. But anyway, we got the same effect if the monitor was out of the loop. I tried different cables and a different VCR too. So the only commonality was the videotape itself and the BT878.

The effect that I was seeing was that over a substantial part of the image plane the luminance was at its maximum value (ie being digitized as white). Looking at the histogram of luminance values there were no low values of luminance either. This wasn't readily apparent on the monitor because you could change its brightness/contrast knobs to get
what looked like a decent picture.

To get decent luminance ranges I had to drop the brightness register value on the BT878 to -64 and reduce the contrast register to 200. But even with these changes, the local contrast is not particularly good. Another "feature" is that the BT878 is overscanning horizontally: there are columns of black pixels on either side of the image. Another thing that is possibly relevant is that when recorded, the VCR wrote a visible
timestamp (in white) onto the video.

What I am asking is "Do other people have problems like the above digitising off videotape?", or is the consensus that something is problem wrong with the tape in this case.

Thanks
Alan