RE: BT878 Digitizing from Videotape

Even before we go that far, has he checked through the 'obvious'?

Keep you cable length as short as you can, but keep the VCR away from the
computer's fan and hard drives.  (Spinning motors, especially with long
and/or poor quality cable are a nono)

Go for a good quality shielded cable.  When I'm dubbing, I generally use
Monster Cable's Monster Subwoofer.  Six to eight feet and _VERY_ well
shielded.

Plug a decent reference into the VCR, any kind of composite monitor or
later-model TV should give you an idea if it's the tape quality, head
cleaning, head alignment, capstan, etc.  I'd use the same cable and same
placement across the board so that you can see what's happening in real time
with the computer removed from the equation.  Then you can relocate cables
and swap tapes, that kind of thing, in relative immunity.

Your thoughts?

--- Jodie Reynolds
    Chief Technology Officer
    Interact Devices, Inc.