Re: Re: Video and Matrox Cards

On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 02:46:59PM -0700, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Jon Pennington wrote:
>
> > You only need about 25MB/s or so to get video capture, depending on
> > how large and fast your framerate is.  You can get much, much lower if
> > you have a card with MJPEG compression in hardware.  If NT/2k
> > compatibility weren't an issue, I'd heartily recommend a Pinnacle
> > Studio DC10+, which can be had for well under $100US at retail.
>
> I understand that the DC10+ doesn't have a tuner.  I'm working on a
> background project of building a TiVo-like timeshifter, and by definition
> a tuner is kindof a requirement.  The G450 eTV would be ideal, since it
> does MPEG-2 in hardware, but there are no drivers afaict.  The G400-TV is
> expensive and hard to find, and it also is a video card, which will turn
> into a problem when I eventually move to a more cost-effective system with
> onboard video.

I understand what you're doing better, now.  Yes, the DC10 is missing a tuner.  Are you sure that MPEG-2 will provide you with a low enough data rate?  Actually, I may revert to part of my original suggestion, and recommend a Bt8x8 PCI card.  Between V4L-2's improved, erm, rubustness, with these chips, and applications such as NuppleVideo (I think that's what it's called), MPEG-4 may or may not be a viable solution.  TiVo's use MPEG-4.

> Can anyone suggest any other devices that might work for what I'm doing?
> All I want is a PCI card with a TV tuner, MJPEG capture and display,
> YUV overlay capabilities, with audio capture a major bonus.  Grabbing line
> 21 would be good as well.

What's line 21?

--
-=|JP|=-    "I'm not unemployed, my career's just in a holding pattern"
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.3                 -o)