Re: Re: Video and Matrox Cards

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:48:07AM -0600, Peter V Amerl wrote:
> Thanks for this info.
>
> I plan to use the card mostly for video capture... I have a TV already
> ;-)

Indeed.  I don't have a TV ;).

> The G450 eTV is not a full dual head card, but it has some strange
> dual display capabilities ie. Monitor and TV.

Honestly, I haven't looked at it that hard.  I'm quite happy with my DC10+ to do capture, but it won't work with NT or Win2k, either.  A DC30 has NT/2k drivers, but does not (*yet*) work with Linux.

> The G400 Series TV/Editing
> card used to have hardware MPEG compression (AFAIK). Did Matrox remove
> these from the G450 eTV line?

>From what I've gathered, the RainbowRunner and Marvel series used an M*J*PEG compression system, not an MPEG system.  Again, I'm not an expert, and my memory isn't as good as it used to be.  I'm unaware of what the eTV uses, but I'm pretty darn sure that it won't work with Linux.

> I could not find reference to it.
> Fast disks are a limiting factor as I only have UW SCSI HDD (40MB/s).
> At this time I am not ready to move to the 160MB/s SCSI standard, or
> a Firewire HDD.

You only need about 25MB/s or so to get video capture, depending on how large and fast your framerate is.  You can get much, much lower if you have a card with MJPEG compression in hardware.  If NT/2k compatibility weren't an issue, I'd heartily recommend a Pinnacle Studio DC10+, which can be had for well under $100US at retail.

--
-=|JP|=-    "I'm not unemployed, my career's just in a holding pattern"
Jon Pennington          | Debian 2.3                 -o)