Re: Captivator PCI x Kernel 2.4.4 - more info

Claudemir Todo Bom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am an unhappy owner of a Captivator PCI, the card worked satisfatory
> under kernels 2.2.x, only with a few hangs when running 'streamer'
> utility from 'xawtv'.
>
> But on kernel 2.4.x it doesn't work at all.
>
> The driver detects it as an UNKNOWN BT848A card. The card doesn't have a
> tuner, and I suppose it doesn't have audio too, because it only have
> video conectors.
>
> As instructed on Documentation/video4linux/bttv/README, I've placed the
> following line on /etc/modules.conf:
>
> options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1
>
> This makes a 'modprobe bttv' to load faster, but when I call xawtv, my
> system completely locks up, a hard reset is needed.

I've tweaked around and made some progress. I've found problems:

 * My machine was giving the same IRQ address to ACPI and to my
Captivator,
   I've managed to make they differ. This way I could remove
'bit_test=1'
   from 'i2c-algo-bit';
 * I've found that "card 57 - GrandTec's Grand Video Capture" is very
simmilar
   to Captivator, with exception of the presence of a PLL. Then I've
inserted
   my bttv module through "modprobe bttv card=57 pll=0".

After this done:

* Capture frames through the 'streamer' utility from 'xawtv', are
working without any hang;
* Xawtv always hang on startup, when using no config file (~/.xawtv),
with '-v 2' on command line, the hang occurs after the message 'wmhooks:
gnome';
* If I edit xawtv and set capture to off, then sometimes (I think that
this occurs 2/3 of tries), I'm able to start xawtv, and then select
'capture = overlay' and everything works as expected. On the other 1/3
of tries, the system completely locks, just after the 'wmhooks: gnome'
message.

I'm starting to think that this problem is from Xawtv, but as it is
occuring only on kernel 2.4.x, I thik that this may be a problem of the
new bttv driver.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
--
   (   /'_ _ _/ (   /_     \  Claudemir Todo Bom
      teleinformatica /    |    http://www.wiredway.com.br/~allgood
http://www.wiredway.com.br \