Re: v4l2 + kernel

Gerd Knorr wrote:
> ...you can vmalloc() a chunk of memory and then remap that to
> userspace (like most drivers do today).

For which v4l2_vmalloc_to_page() is still useful.

(Thanks for the memory management tutorial.)

> > > How do I setup a second, independent stream?
> >
> > second stream has be a different V4L2_BUF_TYPE.
>
> Another type.  That will work, ok.  /me was thinking about two capture
> streams...

Two capture streams can be done if the driver adds a second capture
stream type, e.g. V4L2_BUF_TYPE_CAPTURE2.

> Idea was to make it easier to handle v4l1 backward compatibility.

I understand, but I disagree that that is a valid reason to change the
API. It doesn't add new capability, provide a benefit to the
application, or solve an API design defect.

> I don't find it useful to have locked every single list operation.
> [...]
> The irq handler may have to handle multiple list operations, and
> in needs to do more stuff (hardware programming) with the lock.

I used different locks for hardware and lists. One lock for each list,
and one lock for each card.

Bill.