Re: MaxWidth/Height on WinTV

hope i'm not being too annoying by responding to myself all the
time...but this is really driving me crazy! now after trying various
things like running xawtv as root with various command line options
videodog has gone back to reporting:

[root@stamp2 douglas]# videodog -s -d /dev/video0

Video Cat tool Version 0.06
Device Name: BT878(Hauppauge new (bt878))
Device: /dev/video
Max Width  : 768
Max Height : 480
Current Settings :

        Input : 0
        Brightness : 32768
        Hue        : 32768
        Colour     : 32512
        Contrast   : 32768

so my Max Width is back to 768! and guess what -- the images are fine
again!!! arrrrrg. so somehow something is making either the card or the
driver get confused about what its max size settings are. does that make
any sense to anyone? does anyone have any idea what i might look at to
fix this???

thanks,
douglas