RE: Streaming bttv webcam? How?

Hi Chris (and list) -

The "blurryness" you see is a product of bandwidth.  As you increase frame
rate or frame size or frame quality, there has to be a tradeoff.  That
tradeoff is bandwidth required.  Unless you raise the bandwidth, one of the
other three has to suffer.  Generally, it's frame quality.  Remember, full
NTSC uncompressed video is between 168Mbit/s and 250Mbit/s.  You're throwing
a LOT away to get it down to a few hundred kbit/s.

I haven't messed with the SWF stuff yet... Not my favorite format.

Have you tried changing bit depths using v4lctl?  I don't know if 8bit is
native to SWF or if you can get v4l to cooperate and raise the depth with
xawtv-remote or v4lctl.

As for your load averages, that's pretty bizzare!  It appears that SWF is
mjpeg video/mpeg2 audio, according to ffserver atleast.  I'm running one
input from a bttv card right now, RH 6.2, 933 AMD w/256meg, Xwindows running
with two shells and Netscape 4.74.  SWF format, 12fps, 300kb/s, 22050hz mono
sound at 64kb/s and my load average is 0.80.  Are you viewing the video on
the same box?  How much motion (more motion=more processor to throw away
pixels)?

Regards,

-- Jodie