RE: Streaming bttv webcam? How?

ffserver in the ffmpeg package does a fine job at sending Real Video, Motion
JPEG, h.263, MPEG1, AC/3, MPEG audio layer 2, etc.  It's simply the fastest,
most solid video encoder I've _ever_ seen run on any platform, anywhere.

The DivX/ASF streaming doesn't work for me (the author notes it's not
finished), and my plan is to send him an email today offering to help with
that.  It's command-line based (CHEER!  Can you say embedded streaming
appliance?) at present, and on my local gigaether, I can run 2000
mixed-platform RV clients from a single RH 6.2 933 PIII with 256M. Which is
also encoding two different streams from two video cards.(!) If that's not
enough, it offers a "Master/Slave" option.  So you can run the server on a
high-bandwidth machine and stream a single connection from a slave (say from
a DSL remote capture to a DS3 client server), ala an MS Encoder/Media Server
arrangement.

At present, it appears to support http protocol, internally, AWESOMELY well.

I'd also offer to add multicast support to SDR and transport over RTP/RTSP
with OpenDivX SR-RTP and Congestion Manager.

The machine next to me has been streaming RV to two machines for 42hrs,
without X running, and with a load average of 0.90... Let's see RV Server
claim that!

The author points out that he would like to put a GUI on it.  I think a web
gui internally would be neat, but would like to see him keep it light and
fast like it is, and remotely manageable.  With its internal webserver, it
crys out for a simple web configuration tool (again, thinking embedded
appliance) that can be run from anywhere.

This is DEFINITELY a package to keep your eye on for streaming video.

--- Jodie Reynolds
    Chief Technology Officer
    Interact Devices, Inc.

(Now that I find (thank you James) the sourceforge page, I see he
acknowledges the features I'd like to see added.  Nifty!  Now to go
volunteer....)

Subject: Re:  Streaming bttv webcam? How?

Hi Chris,

We can suggest :

http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/

But last I saw it, it was only sending 1 minutes worth, then you had to
reload:(.

JES

--
James B. MacLean        macleajb@xxxxxxxxxxx